Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30th: A Day of Remembrance

It is amazing how fast time flies. As I write this, I am trying to finish up my last project of my undergraduate career at the University of Dayton. Today, however, marks the 4 year anniversary of the day my dad died. As some of you may know and others of you may not, my dad suffered from alcholism and struggled with it for many years. This is the reason why to this day I do not drink, and never have, as I know I possess those same addictive qualites that he once did; this is one of the major reasons why I love the sport of Triathlon as well, because I can transfer those qualities into a sport that I have come to deeply love and become quite competitive at. It is those qualites that have helped me become the triathlete that I am today and will continue to carry me into the future.

I wish he was still here to see me compete and to be here this weekend to see me graduate. He was always so proud of everything I did, as well as my 2 older sisters, and I know he would be very proud of me this weekend for graduation and for my all of my successes in triathlon thus far.

Today is about remembering my dad. All of the good times that we had together; going to baseball games, going to baseball card shows, watching our cleveland sports, going to cedar point, and so many other things. It makes me sad to think back to four years ago when he passed away the day before my sister's college graduation and how he won't be there for mine. However, I know he will be there in spirit.

My mom and sisters, brother-in-law, and niece are coming into town today for my graduation weekend. It will be good to all be together on this day, something that has not happened since four years ago.

I just want to end with a few words: You never know when you might lose a loved one so make sure you tell those people in your life how much you love them and how much they mean to you and enjoy the time you get to spend together, even when they may get on your nerves, because once they're gone you will miss them more that ever. Do it today for me, in remembrance of my dad, but do it everyday or everytime you talk to someone special in your life; life's too short not too.

Dad, I love you and miss you each and every day...forever you will be remembered and in my heart

1 comment:

Corbizzle said...

This is a very moving post Colin. Congrats on all your hard work and success and keep making us proud!