Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Copper Creek Sprint Triathlon

This past weekend Amanda and I went to Des Moines for the Copper Creek Sprint Triathlon in Pleasant Hill, IA, just outside Des Moines. This is the 3rd time I have competed in this race, the first two times were in 2009 and 2010 where I finished 6th and 5th, respectively. This is a fun and challenging sprint race which also has a nice prize purse for the top 3 which brings out some good competition. We got in late Friday night to my sister's house in Des Moines. On Saturday we went to the race course and got in a short swim and bike and picked up our race packets which included a free pair of CEP compression socks!


Race morning rolled around, I had my usual banana, Cookies N Cream PowerBar, and cup of coffee, along with a few PowerBar Cola gel blasts about 30 minutes before the race started. I got in a good 15 min bike warm-up along with a short 5-10 minute swim warm-up prior to the race.

Swim: 9:35 - 4th OA
The swim was 750 meters and went very well. I got out well and had a person on both sides of me heading toward the first buoy. We rounded the first buoy and then I settled in right on the feet of the one of the guys in front of me. I was able to maintain that position through the whole swim and finished the swim with four others all within a few seconds of each other.

T1: 1:06 - I transitioned well and started the bike right with another guy in first place

Bike: 29:22 - 2nd OA
I went back a forth a couple of times in the first couple miles with eventual race winner Daniel Bretscher but a few miles in, he pulled ahead of me and I wasn't able to pull him back in. I didn't let him get too far ahead though and didn't get passed by anyone else, although there were a handful of guys not far behind.

T2: 0:26 - I entered T2 in 2nd place and headed out on the run

Run: 17:35 - 3rd OA
I knew Daniel was a great runner and also knew there was some good competition behind me. I could see Daniel most of the way and kept trying to close the gap between us but was unable to do so. At the turn-around I was able to see the other guys weren't too far behind. I kept pushing hard the final mile and a half and held onto 2nd place overall!

Finish: 58:04 - 2nd Overall!

Me, Daniel, and Patrick on the podium

Amanda got 2nd in her age-group

Me and Amanda after the race

Overall, a great race, a nice confidence booster heading into some tough training over the next month, and some good family time with my sister Rachel, brother-in-law, and niece and nephew!

No comments: